Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A day at the Salon



I thus far have not met a 4 year old that doesn't love to cut and paste. My Taters is no different. Give him construction paper, scissors and glue and he'll make a "masterpiece"!

This Sunday the children and I stayed home from evening service because of recovering colds. My eldest spent her evening drawing in her sketch pad, my youngest bothering my eldest and my other two boys creating with construction paper and glue. My eldest son made a very remarkable moose, it actually looked like a moose. Taters on the other hand was more abstract to say the least. I choose after about 1/2 hour into this to bring laundry upstairs...(me upstairs...is this a running theme?) Not even 4 min later I hear a "AHHHH PIE!" Once again I find myself running down the stairs to the kitchen. Oh boy. There is his creation on the table...with a pile of hair on top of it. He no longer has bangs. This was my child with wavy, thick, every girl would want...hair. Now standing before me looking absolutely ridiculous. He appears as though he is wearing a really bad tupea. His forehead still red from his scissors rubbing against it, I bring myself down to his lvl. After explaining why we don't do this I send him to bed. Text his father. Start cleaning the hair off the floor, table...umm everywhere.

In my pre-Tater haircut mind I had been in denial. I assumed boys didn't do this, only girls. My eldest daughter had done it, my eldest son had not. Boy was I wrong, entering stage right Sweet Tater Pie. I do believe we're in for a world of adventure. You see, when my Pie is told something will happen...he wishes for it immediately. The day prior my dear husband told him that on Monday he'd bring him to have his haircut. It is one of Taters most favorite things to do. He adores her. Calls her Aunt Nikki. Not excusing what he did, but I believe this was his motivation...he had to have a haircut immediately.

And yes, early Monday he did get his haircut. Thankfully she was able to somewhat rescue it without him having to be shaved. Trust me, my son has a huge melon that he is still growing into and we agreed that it wouldn't look very nice. So, every two weeks he will get a tweeking. I've so kindly posted before and after pics of my dear child.

I'm beginning to think that I could dedicate a whole blog to Sweet Tater Pie antics. At least this time, however, I didn't need a fire extinguisher.

5 comments:

~Sandy said...

He looks cute as a button!

Alex the Girl said...

What a rat attack. Did you peel that tater's bottom? I remember sephie doing the same exact thing. Amazing how even they can cut the bangs, huh?

Homeschool Hiccups said...

Indeed they can. Nah no tater peelin, having to go to bed was just as painful to him. Makes me wonder what he'll do tomorrow.

Heather at Mad Rose Creations said...

I had not even thought about how lucky I've been w/ my kiddos that none have given themselves new hair styles (knock on wood). Even with his new do, he's still adorable.

Kari Jenkins said...

I love that your son likes getting his hair cut! I am forced to shave mine at home as he tries to attack any stylist we bring him to. I am thinking I need to go to beauty school just so that "big melon" thing isn't an issue anymore!