Sunday, February 28, 2010

Milestones


Amidst all the cards, crafts, awards and other seemingly meaningless things I keep of my children...there is one that may stand out as odd, weird, gross or some other descriptive word you may thing of. Their first tooth...lost! Oh the things mothers keep, or at least this one. I remember their faces when the first one wiggled. The excitement, apprehension, wonder that filled their eyes. They had done it! They had entered big kid world! Soon they would have their first "big" tooth!
This morning my son Tom entered into this big kid world. The world that you enter with a hole in your smile that is quickly replaced with a grin as you show off the gap! The world where you sometimes accidentally whistle while you talk, even spit! The world where all of your friends want to see the gapping bloody hole, that you of coarse show them with pride! The world that finds them checking each tooth in turn to see if there is the slightest hint of a wiggle. The world that tonight will find him placing under his pillow this first tooth lost, dreaming of what he will find come morning.
The world that has reminded me that my Tom is growing, every day growing. Soon he'll be five. Soon he'll be a kindergartener, a Sparky. That last thought brings a smile to my face...a Sparky. Soon he'll understand, it'll all click. Until then...we pray.
Three of my children have entered into this big kid world. One is soon to enter another world. For now, for today, I get to enjoy watching my Tom. Watching him stand tall and grin to show me his gap and be sure I notice the tooth next to it is wiggling too. Don't worry Tom, I noticed.

No comments: