Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Menu Planning is Not For the Birds!

Ok ok..I'll be the first to admit it, most days I have no idea what I'm going to make for dinner until it's almost too late to defrost anything. (Thank you Lord for the invention of the microwave defrost button) So, this year I'm going to try...TRY...to do better! I'm going to attempt to make out a menu for 1-2 weeks at a time...grocery shop for that menu...and the most important part...FOLLOW IT! Here goes, this is my first week menu and once I finish posting, I will be going shop for it. And maybe, just maybe, I'll add a second week to it first. We'll see.

Monday---This day has of coarse already passed, but we had Ginger beef with carrots, shallots and broccoli over rice. It was yummy.

Tuesday---Zoopa Toscana with Focaccia topped with Roma Tomatoes, olive oil, fresh basil and Parmesan.

Wednesday---Redbeans and Rice with a side of Buttermilk Cornbread.

Thursday---Roasted Turkey (I just so happen to have a fully cooked Turkey in my freezer, Yay!) with Guy Fiere Potatoes (can't remember the exact name, but that's where I found them and they are soooo yum.) and garlic greenbeans.

Friday---Taco night, hard and soft with the trimmings...served with Spanish Rice (homemade O'coarse)

Saturday---Chicken Stew

Super, now I'm hungry! Off to go shopping, these meals don't cook themselves!

While sitting here finishing up, I came up with my second week meal plan! Got some great ideas from the food channel site. New recipes to try, so excited!

Monday---Chicken fried steak (sirloin patties smothered in onions) with mashed taters and steamed carrots.

Tuesday---Roast Chicken with Parmesan butter noodles and green salad.

Wednesday---Beef/spinach lasagna with green beans tossed in garlic oil.

Thursday---Orange Ginger Pork Skewers with Vegetable Lo Mein.

Friday---Homemade Pizza Night (Anything goes!)

Now seriously, I'm off to shop!

1 comment:

Holly said...

I can totally relate to meal planning angst :) I am on again off again. It does go SO much better when I plan. One thing I decided was to NOT assign a meal a specific day. That way if I was having a rushed hurried day and I had planned an elaborate dinner, I wouldn't be freaking out. I can just chose an easier dinner and do the elaborate dinner on another night! My mom trained me to come home from the store and put EVERYTHING (meat) in the freezer unless I was going to cook it that night. We don't have a micro. That is VERY inconvenient! lol! I try to keep meat for 2-3 dinners thawing at once. Which not only gives me NO excuse to insist we go out, but it also gives me flexibility if I need it....good luck!