Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 4---Staying the coarse!

Today begins my day 4 of raw food.  I have finally found my combo for breakfast that I think will become my morning regular.  1 cup blueberries, 1 large banana and 10 strawberries with 1/2 cup of raw/unsweetened coconut milk, 1 teaspoon ground untoasted golden flax seed, blended until it's a beautiful shade of purple.  YUM!  Yep, it's my new favorite smoothie!  I think today is starting out good.

On day 2 I visited this wonderful fruit vegetable market on Warren in Canton.  I think it was called Randazzo's or something like that.  The selection was HUGE!  There were so many different things I had wanted to try but couldn't find in my regular grocery store.  Was very fun!  I struggled all day though.  I felt constantly hungry.  I think (and I could be wrong) I ate 6 bananas as snacks that day, and half as many apples.  For dinner I had a huge salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli and radishes, it was so bland!  So, I tried to invent some dressings.  I did one that was a blend of raw honey and ginger with red pepper flakes diluted with a little water to thin it out, it was good!  Yay, my salad was now edible.  Whew.  I was just gonna choke it down.  I'm a dressings girl, what can I say.

Yesterday was rough.  I felt queasy all day.  Then for lunch, I did not help myself out.  I had salsa (homemade, raw --thank you Chris!) with artichoke chips.  The artichoke wasn't entirely raw because we had to steam it a bit for it to be edible.  Yep, I can safely say that I do not care for artichoke chips (leaves).  It smelled weird and eventually I just had to stop eating it.  So, I switched to romaine lettuce and made salsa boats.  Those were yummy.  I don't think it helped that for breakfast I tried this recipe for "Oat Meal" that I found on a raw food site.  Yep, not eating that again.  I had to soak flax seed overnight, then next morning you rinse them and add those along with 2 apples and a banana to your blender with a 1/2 cup of water and 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon.  Izabella loved it, I let her have as much as she wanted and shared some with Will too.  It's one of those things that are good at first and then the texture starts to creep in on ya.

So here I am, day 4, sipping on my lovely smoothie.  I'm pondering the idea of having my first "green shake" for lunch.  That would consist of carrot, kale or swiss chard, and tomato.  Hmmm.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Good for you!! Sounds like you are doing great :) I caved yesterday and ate pizza. Shouldn't have done that...and I paid for it later! I have thought of doing raw, but not sure I could afford to do it. Will you just do raw for a certain time period? I've heard a lot of people who do 80/20. Raw 80% of the time and cooked 20%. I'm back on the wagon for today. I am determined to see the numbers on the scale MOVE :)