Monday, February 21, 2011

Mission: Two week detox

This weekend, I was able to chit chat a bit with a good friend of mine about a "diet" he had started.  His meals for the past 11 days consisted of only raw fruits, veggies and almonds.  I know, I know...where's the meat!?  Or more importantly...Where's the chocolate!!??  


When I first heard of this diet a couple weeks back, I was convinced that there was no way I could do it.  For one, I love meat.  Seriously.  Secondly, I'm not all that crazy about eating fruit unless it's a raspberry.  So, I logged it into the deep recesses of my mind and pretty much forgot about it.  My recesses must not be very deep because when I saw him it was the first thing that pop'd into my head.  I asked him how it was going (as I ate chips with this amazing buffalo dip that was super cheesy, rich and a tad spicy).  It's his answer that convinced me that I needed to give this a try.  He went on to tell me of how he had more energy, he felt better overall and how he could think more clearly.  More than all that he told me that his emotional responses to the ones he loved most was drastically improved.  Things didn't immediately cause irritation or anger, his blood pressure wouldn't spike up during things that before would be stressful.  He was able to calmly talk through things and handle them much better than he had before emotional and health wise.  To me, that was what made it worth it!  


I'll be the first to admit, sometimes I can become easily irritated with those closest to me.  I tend to raise my voice (drives me crazy when I do that!  It's like I've become some kind of beast.)  So, I'm gonna give it a try.  It's going to take lots of self-control on my part, mostly because I'll still be preparing meals for my family.  So all the yummy things will be right there.  I'm hoping to have time to blog about this as I go through these next two weeks, almost like being accountable to whoever reads this.  But mainly i'll be depending on God's grace being renewed every morning and the strength that only He can give me.  


The tangerine pear smoothie I had for lunch today was really yummy!  I'm looking forward to exploring all the smoothie possibilities. 

2 comments:

Holly said...

Doing a similar thing over here. I have been desperately trying to lose the 15+ pounds I've put on since I weaned Willem. Ugh! I am finally cutting out all carbs....I'm down to lean meats, veg's, fruit and rice. Yahooo! :)I'm also down to ONE pair of pants that fit me :P

The Graef Family said...

Can you share your smoothie recipe? Good luck girl!