Saturday, April 30, 2011

Small Comparisons

Back on the 21st of February, I did this two week raw food detox to kinda get myself going in the healthier direction.  It was a tough two weeks, but I did it and am down right glad I did!  I felt really great when I was done and even had extra perks...like my skin was in better condition and my hair grew in quicker.  (I was still getting over the whole having a baby hairloss.)  It was at the end of this that my husband and I started the Atkins diet together.  Together...what a lovely word.  I'm thinking that that is why it's been so easy to stick to it!  We're on the same page!  Anyways, back to the whole Raw food thing.  Looking back on my older posts I noticed that I had revealed what I thought to be my starting weight...whelp, I was wrong.  When Chris and I started Atkins together we decided to buy a new scale (yuck!).  Well, lets just say the one I had used was off a tad.  By about 6 lbs...and not in the good way!  So, my original starting weight was actually....roughly....about....174ish.  I'm ok now, I accepted it at the time and moved on knowing without a doubt that I had to get my rear in gear.

It's now almost 10 weeks into my entire weight loss, get myself healthier, journey.  And I must say, I'm proud of my hubbie for sticking to it and helping me stick to it.  There have been other benefits too!  Our kids have become healthier while we're at it!  My goal of portion control amongst our ranks has happened!  Not to mention, being on this whole low carb thing, we've tried a whole variety of vegetables that we never thought to touch before...like kale, swiss chard and a variety of different cabbages like bok choy, nappa and savoy...yum! We're slowly adding certain grain carbs back to the table like thick cut oatmeal, barley and whole grain wild rice (chewy stuff),  but in small amounts.  I've even made these yummy apple scones from oats and whole grain that are wonderful.  Everything in moderation!  The biggest change is the lack of sugar, I don't miss it and I don't think I'll be adding that back to our diet.  Nope, no sugar.  I'm also going to start making our own bread (try my best to do it regularly), to try to get more preservatives out of my kiddos diets...bad stuff, preservatives and sugar, imo.

I've posted a photo comprised of different times the past year.  I don't get my pic taken often, so I could only find ones that I have others in with me (good stuff).  You can see the difference in my hubbie and in my Celsi, and how well they've done since February.  I won't tell you their starting and current weights, that's their story.  But I will tell you that they are both feeling great and have more energy.  Yay!  So far I've lost about 26lbs, Praise the Lord!  Hopefully through all of this He's been strengthening my ticker and improving other aspects of internal health.  My family has a history of bad tickers, diabetes and cancers.  I feel it's my major responsibility to do what I can to try my best to take care of this body He's given me...not just for me, but for my kids.  What children see us do, they do.  What they hear us say, they say.  They are like little sponges, so I'll do my best to give them good things to "absorb" that will help them over their lifetimes.  And one of those are eating habits!

No comments: